Can you believe summer is already almost over and kids all over the country are going to be heading back to school in the next week or two?
I don't know about you, but every school year, we spend the first month battling various bugs that come from dozens of kids suddenly sharing germs again. But, I am here to tell you that there are ways you can start preparing your child's immune system now so that you can minimize the amount of illnesses brought home, or at least the severity.
Around this time each year, I try to stock up on the various items in my holistic medicine cabinet so that I can be ready for whatever ickiness gets brought home. This year I'll have two kids in two different schools, so I need to be extra prepared! One of them will be in preschool, where everyone is sick all year long. Super fun. z
So. What are some of the things that you should stock up on this week?
1. A good multivitamin and probiotic. This is a personal favorite because, first of all, since it's a combination, that's one less thing I have to remember to give my kids. These are also really high quality with methylated B12 and folate, which is super important if you suspect/know your child has MTHFR. There are no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors; no common allergens like soy or dairy; no preservatives. The probiotics keep their gut in check (reducing the risk of stomach bugs and helping with digestive and mental health, as well as strengthening their immune system) and the multivitamins keep their overall health in order.
2. Elderberry syrup. We use this a lot, especially during flu season. It helps to build up the immune system, and when given while sick, it helps to reduce the length of time. You can make it yourself, but in case you aren't able to for whatever reason, this is the kind that we use. Even my pickiest child likes it, if that says anything.
3. Activated charcoal. This is a must for every medicine cabinet! It's a great binder for toxins, which is helpful when you're doing any kind of detox. It also helps when you're sick, especially with a stomach bug. It binds to the junk in your system and helps your body eliminate everything. Literally.... eliminate. Don't be alarmed when you go to the bathroom and see black in the toilet... that's the charcoal doing its job. I like using these tablets because the kids can chew them, and they think it's funny when their mouth turns black. There are also capsules, and you can buy bags of powder as well... we use the powder to make pastes for wounds or bug bites, poison ivy or infected cuts, even brushing teeth (IF you don't have amalgams - or, metal fillings.)
4. Colloidal Silver. We use this for ear infections, pink eye, asthma, and general illnesses. We put drops directly in the ear or eye, or take a dropper-full a couple times a day when sick. For breathing problems, you can put it in a nebulizer where you put albuterol. Here is a fascinating study on a boy with lung disease who was treated with colloidal silver. **Please do not discontinue use of prescription medication without first consulting your physician. This is meant to be a supplement, not a substitution.**
5. Kid-safe essential oil blends. There are many blends for a variety of ailments and concerns. We love using Plant Therapy because they are high quality without the MLM price tag. Don't get me wrong... I'm not against MLM's. But in this case, I am 100% a Plant Therapy customer for life. I used an MLM brand for over a year, but switched to PT about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Their products are incredible. These are some of my favorites:
6. Transfer Factor - Useful for shortening the length of illnesses. This comes from cow colostrum, and is a powerhouse tool to have on hand. For young children, I just open the capsule and put the powder in their drinks or apple sauce.
7. Oscillococcinum (aka Oscillo) - THIS will sell out QUICKLY when flu season comes, so stock up now! Also, it's about quality, not quantity. With homeopathy, you'll get the same results if you take 2 pellets or 10, so save your money and don't follow the dosing recommendation. It says to take a whole tube EACH TIME, but you really only need to take 3 pellets at a time, making the tube last way longer. These dissolve quickly, and my kids love taking them.
*Edit September 10, 2018*
Some of the things I need to add links to in the article, that we've been using more frequently lately:
Camu Camu (vitamin C)
Bee Propolis spray
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Organic Wheat Grass
Vitamin D (I put the powder in their water)
Ok, well those are some of the things we keep on hand all school year - well, all year really. Am I missing anything? Let me know in the comments!!!
**Blog posts may contain affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, Amazon, Plexus, and Coseva pay me a small commission on sales through my links. Thank you for helping me to support my family.**
* Single, divorced mama to three super awesome kiddos.